Friday, November 20, 2009

High School Hotties

I, nor could you, be oblivious to the recent re-uproar or the twilight saga. New Moon came out today with midnight showings all around the place. This got me thinking. Well that and Gilmore Girls. Yes the TV show.

What is it with high school romances that can get us going? Is it the great lines that aren't actually said in real life? or the over the top-detailed-accounts of an every day kind of feeling? Or am I just a big romantic and wish my high school days were filed with vampires, Lucas Scotts, Paceys, and Logans?

"I was stunned by the unexpected electricity that flowed through me, amazed that it was possible to be more aware of him than I already was. A crazy impulse to reach over and touch him, to stroke his perfect face just once in the darkness, nearly overwhelmed me".Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 11, p.219

"When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it’s not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end".Bella Swan, Twilight, Preface, p.1

Logan: I have thought about asking you out, several times. I just don’t think it’s such a good idea.Rory: Why not?Logan: Because you’re special.Rory: Special, like "stop eating the paste" special? GG

Logan: It's your choice, Ace. People can live a hundred years without really living for a minute. You climb up here with me, it's one less minute you haven't lived. GG

It doesn't help that the only books that I voluntarily read my younger days was Young Love high school romance books. You know the kind, where all year the good girl struggles to like the football captain while at the same time the bad boy who really isn't all that bad keeps teasing her and finally they (drama boy and girl) go to the prom and kiss at the end of the night. Those books. My shelves were and still kind of are filled with them. I think this is why I have the slight obsession with the Twilight books (not the movie to clarify) and that at 11 every morning I make sure I am watching Gilmore Girls.

I am leaning towards the hopeless romantic thing. I think as a home owning adult this makes me less pathetic. But I still can't see my self every really getting over these story lines. I have tried to up grade to more mature style of "love stories" but bodice ripping and throbing just makes me laugh and get a little green. So for now and probably a while I'll be sticking with my desires to be called Ace, my need to have a Jacob black in my bed room, and the overwhelming wish that Alice was real and could go shopping with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment