Friday, October 09, 2009

Cooking up a storm!

Yesterday we went to our friendly super store and loaded up on bulk items. We got a whole bunch of stuff that I don't even remember. The big point is instead of freezing the meat, de-thawing and then figuring out something to do with it later I jumped into my first set of freezer meals.

Using 2 lbs of burger and 2 lbs of sausage I made 2 mixed meat lasagnas. One I wrapped in foil to freeze so that I can use the pan in the mean time and the second went right into the pan (on accident) to be used at a later date. Both are/will be wrapped heavily in foil to prevent freezer burn and allow for easy cooking later. Between the 2 lasagnas Hubby and I will be able to get 6 meals easily if not more.

Meal number two was a beef stew. Using 3 lbs of beef (don't remember what kind) chunked up we added corn, green beans, tomatoes, celery, carrots, and potatos to the slow cooker. Using premixed seasoning and a slow cooker bag the stew has 4 hours of roasting to go and then we will have multiple meals a head of us.

Thinking to save money, a while back we got a bag of frozen chicken to use for various reasons. realizing this chicken is really horriable and difficult to season (and over all not pretty) I boiled up the remaining 6 breast, shreded the meat, bagged them, and will be using them for chicken salad, quesidillas, and possiable salads. The chicken taste fine, just not over all visually appealing as a whole, thus the reason for cooking, shreading and pre-bagging.

Hopefully this amount of food along with the other frozen meat, fresh veggies (whats left of them) and boxed sides will give us a variety of food. I know for certian it will last us through the month, and hopefully into the good part of November. We will still have to go get fresh items like milk, maybe eggs if I bake something, and produce but that will cut down significantly on my prep time and shopping. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment