Thursday, May 27, 2010

New obsession

I think I have found my great love. Crazy quilts. They originated in during the Victorian age. Young ladies wanted a "modern" way to quilt and turned to this style.
I do not love it for its historical reference. I love it for its style! This is a close up of a piece of work that has been crazy quilted. This is a close up of some stitches done on a quilt. You can see that it adds a lot of character to a quilt. Traditionally it seems that these quilts were made from true scraps. Whatever size or shape it was put into the piece. The decorative stitches are to tie all of the work together. A good Victorian quilt could have up to 100 or more different stitches or combinations. Apparently it wasn't a good quilt if you were able to show off... a lot.

This is a indulgent crazy quilt. Buttons, lace, beads, embroidery, etc make up a very 3D effect.
Don't get me wrong... I don't' think these are very functional quilts if they are layered with buttons, beads, and pins. I do think they could made fabulous pillows or wall hangings (if your in to that which I'm not at this point) But the appeal at this point is the fancy stitch's and use of scraps. This would be a fabulous use of scraps in the true since... no saving only square pieces! I think the stitching is also more practical to take with you if you expect to do sitting. Appointments, practices (the kid's), etc would be a great place to pull out a square and stitch away!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is very cool. I DO love it for the historical relevance and something like this would look incredibly awesome in our front parlor...so if you feel so inclined, feel free to put one together for me. :)

    ReplyDelete